That's My Name

Since mid of 2006 I stayed in Thailand I have experienced some questions about my name. When I filled the form some officers would asked:

Officer: What is your last name, please write down.
This my my name, I don't have last name.
Officer: what is your family name?
Me: Ang
Officer: So write down your family name.
Me: But Sir, I don't have any last name in my documents, not in my passport nor in my ID card.
Officer: What? **@!@
Me: Yes, that's why I only have my name in 1 word, to comply with the passport.
Officer:*Sigh*

This one-word-name also give me problem when I want to buy ticket. Some company has their own solution, just write the name in last name. Some maybe will repeat the first name as the last name.

Yes, it's not only me have a one-word-name. Many Indonesians are like that. We can find many Anny, Andi, Anton etc. Maybe when our parents register my birth the officer never told them to put family name. No way, the officer will ask for money (bribe???) when people registers their children: to speed up, to make sure that it's done. Why bother family name if people can get their certificate? ==> this is phenomenon years ago, I don't know the recent situation in our beloved government-officer environment.

Well I think thera's a good solution to prevent one-word-name in the future. The officer who handles the birth registration in Kantor Catatan Sipil should requires the applicants to have complete name: both first name and family name. This is a solution which need cooperation from our beloved government.

Or another solution is to spread the words by mass media: television, radio. so people aware that they should prepare proper name for their children.
When this can be realized?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Be Downcast

世上只有妈妈好 SHI SHANG ZHI YOU MAMA HAO LYRICS

Apply Schengen visa (Paris) dari UK